- MA in International Journalism (with Distinction) City University, London, England.
- BA in Economics. University of British Columbia Vancouver, Canada.
AWARDS & RECOGNITION:
- 2004. (British) Foreign Press Association journalist of the year award “Iran Undercover,” which examined state sponsored terrorism, the student movement and the human rights situation in Iran, shown internationally.
- 2004. Reporter/cameraperson on “Know Your Enemy,” a documentary for Global Television, which won the network category of best in depth investigative documentary at the 2004 Canadian Radio-Television National and Network annual awards. Investigations were conducted on the locations of alleged Al-Qaeda cells in the Middle East, Europe and North America.
- 1996. Winner of the Rory Peck Award: “The Battle of Sanski Most,” the inside story of the last big battle of the Bosnian conflict, before the signing of the Dayton Peace Accords, broadcast on Channel 4’s “Dispatches” and shown internationally.
- 1997. Special Commendation Rory Peck Award: for a news feature & documentary she directed and filmed: “Gas Stove Deaths – human rights abuses against women in Pakistan,” shown internationally.
Jane is a founding member of the Frontline Club in London, England. www.frontlineclub.com
- 2013.The Rotary Club of Vancouver Quadra, B.C.
Topic: Arctic sovereignty and how the fate of the Arctic affects all inhabitants of the planet.
- 2013. The Arbutus Club, Vancouver, B.C.
Topic: The year of the Arctic and why 2013 is going to be a pivotal year for all Northern states.
- 2012. Notre Dame Regional Secondary School, Vancouver, B.C.
Topic: Environmental and social challenges in the Canadian Arctic.
- 2012. The Arbutus Club, Vancouver, B.C.
Topic: The future of Libya after the death of former dictator Muammar Gaddafi.
- 2012. The University of British Columbia.
Topic: The future of post-dictatorship Iraq and Libya (with Hadani Ditmars).
- 2012. Women’s Wednesday Discussion Group, Vancouver, B.C.
Topic: Working as an independent video journalist in challenging situations from the Arctic to Afghanistan.
- 2011. The George Washington University, Washington, D.C. The Iran Democratic Transition Conference.
- 2008. City University, London (U.K.), International MA in Journalism course.
Topics included: human rights and terrorism in Chechnya, Afghanistan and Iran.
- 2004. The Canadian Union of Journalist’s annual meeting. Workshop conducted on operating in hostile environments and investigative reporting.
- 2004. The European Broadcasting Union’s Oslo TV Conference on working as an independent video journalist: the pros and cons. Workshop titled “Alone in the Field” from undercover work to in-depth visual storytelling.
- 2001. The European Centre for War, Peace and the News Media in Sarajevo, Bosnia & Herzegovina on the subject of objectivity in the news media and diversity issues.
BROADCAST AND RADIO INTERVIEWS:
CBC, CNN, Global TV, BBC World News, OMNI, CKNW, CBC’s ‘The Current’, Voice of America, BBC World Service Radio and others.
Sunday Times of London, The Guardian, The Independent, The Economist and its Foreign Report. Index on Censorship, Creation, National Post of Canada, The Globe and Mail, The Vancouver Sun and Frontline Defence Magazine.
- English (native speaker)
- French (almost fluent)
- Italian (fluent)
- Croatian (fluent)